Snap

She slept on the floor by the side of my bed,
Snoring softly in the darkness.
When it was time, she’d awaken me gently and
I’d reluctantly lurch with her to the front door;
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, clear, rain, wind, snow…it didn’t matter;
I’d let her out and trust her to come back.
If it was wet or snowy, I learned to have a towel handy.
My parents never stirred, nor did my sister,
It was just me and the dog.
She’d come back; I’d let her in and we’d go down the hall to my room,
But she’d stop at each door to make sure nobody’d left while she was out.
Before I fell back asleep, she always thanked me with a sniff
And stretched out on the floor where my hand could trail to touch.
Sometimes I’d hear her snoring begin again;
Sometimes I wouldn’t.

(Moon: ajr.org; Schnauzer: schnauzer-help.ru)

About Jim Stewart

Writer at Butt in Chair
This entry was posted in Childhood, Dog, Friendship, Poem, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Snap

1. Bud Hedrick says:

Good one Jim!

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 4:05 PM Narble Furt Lives wrote:

> Jim Stewart posted: ” She slept on the floor by the side of my bed,Snoring > softly in the darkness.When it was time, she’d awaken me gently andI’d > reluctantly crawl out and lurch to the front door to let her out;Winter, > Spring, Summer, Fall, clear, rain, wind, snow…it didn’t m” >

2. Anne Stewart says:

i love it!!! She was a good dog

Anne Stewart disneysport@comcast.net

3. John Allen says:

A beautiful story….not just about the dog.

4. cindy knoke says:

She looks so much like Patsy, our grey medium sized poodle when I was a kid. One time she paddled out in the ocean after my brother and I went out on our rafts, when our parents had night time bonfires. We didn’t know she was there until we heard her barking in the black night of the sea. We were panicked to get to her. We did. She rode back on my brothers raft.

5. Love this. Made me miss my Jazz.

6. Debra says:

This deeply touches me, Jim. It really is true that they never leave our hearts. I loved this.

7. Swinged Cat says:

Proof that all you really need to be content is a solid woof over your head.